Date:      Sun, 06 Dec 1998 16:24:29 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        curtis <ufkartfm@pacific.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/axp - Smoothing the Edges

> Having spent a little time, now, 'playing' with a working FreeBSD/axp,
> on my Multia, I no longer have any problems with "vi".  The "lines that
> were being cut off" only appear when I use "vi" under the P2 minicom
> serial terminal and NOT under a telnet session.  In fact, using telnet
> has eliminated a LOT of 'stuff' I originally thought were errors.

The biggest problem here is likely to be a mismatch between minicom's
emulation and the termcap entry you were using.

> (smile) 'Anyhow', I have what I need to continue with FreeBSD/axp, but
> am curious about a few things.
>
> 1).  Will there be linux/alpha emulation?

This will depend on there being anything worth emulating in the first
place, and in second place, there being someone that feels that it's
worth doing.  Much of the Linuxulator should port directly.

> 2).  Does anyone have EMACS running yet - caveats ?

You should ask John Birrell about this; he was building ports a while
back.

> 3).  Is there information that explains what files are needed for a
>      minimum FreeBSD/axp install?

The traditional "minimal" install is the 'bin' and 'manpages' dists.
You can cut this down in a multitude of different ways depending on
your application.

> In conclusion, it was never my intention to 'create problems' and I will
> be leaving the list Monday evening.... so if you have answers to the
> above, please 'CC' them to me .....without you, I would not have gotten
> so far, so quickly. THANK YOU!

If you're planning on continuing to run FreeBSD/axp, I'd strongly
recommend staying on the list in order to reduce the "problems" that
we're able to create for you - there are likely to be a few more
upheavals coming, and being forewarned about these would likely save
you a lot of stress.

Anyway, I'm happy that we were able to give you enough information to
get you through to a point where you're up and running; your commentary
along the way should help us to improve things.

Good luck!