Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 09:53:54 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>, proot@horton.iaces.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jerome.privat@bt-sys.bt.co.uk
Subject:   Re: support for ADSL cards drivers in FreeBSD

On Tuesday,  2 March 1999 at 12:33:07 -0600, Mark Tinguely wrote:

>>  When you get service from USWEST, you get the 675 free, along with a 3COM
>>  ethernet board (ISA, I think). I think they say it's a $300 value, or so.
>>
>>  We also don't sell the 605 separately. The only way I know how to get one
>>  is to buy a computer from Dell with it pre-installed.
>
> for the money, the Cisco 675 is a great deal, but I have no doubt the need
> for the Cisco 605 driver will be more vocal in the future (esp, if Cisco
> starts pushing these devices in new computers instead of modems -- I guess
> that won't happen until ASDL is common). Even in sticks (Fargo), last summer,
> an ISP wanted a FreeBSD driver for the Cisco 605 but couldn't get the specs.
> According to the ASDL web page on how these devices can be configured, for
> a telco, I could see the Cisco 605 offering a variety of services beyond IP
> connection since they have the ATM infrastructure.
>
> I will put my name down as someone that would help with the driver, assuming
> document and equipment can be secured. Unfortunately, I would not be able
> to use the product for personal use because ASDL service is limited here,
> as it is in many (most?) places.

I've enquired by a back door at Cisco.  He confirmed that getting
docco is difficult, even for people within Cisco.  It seems that the
board is really made by an outfit in Austin TX called NetSpeed.  Take
a look at http://www.netspeed.com/pcirunner.html.  Possibly they would
be more helpful.  You can find a "data sheet" at
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/728/605/c605_ds.htm, but it's glossy.

Greg