Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:47:21 +1200
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@scoop.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

I've been trying to get an old 486 going as a router.  I've got two modems
I've been trying to use - one external 28.8K, one internal 56K.  I'm seeing
the same problem with both, and both modems are known to work OK with other
machines.

What I'm seeing looks like some sort of problem in buffering of output.  I go
to PPP, and enter terminal mode.  Whenever I enter anything, the reply is
always one step behind where it should be.

I type A        -  nothing echoed.
I type T        -  the A gets echoed
I type D        -  the T comes through
I type T        -  the D comes through
I type <return> -  the T comes through and the modem goes off hook (not
                     connected to phone line at present, so it drops again).
I type <return> -  the "NO DIALTONE" message comes through.  Could have typed
                   anything, it's the output that the modem would have already
                   generated one step earlier.

I'm using a freshly installed 3.2-RELEASE machine.  I saw the same symptoms
once before with a PCMCIA modem under 2.2.5-RELEASE.  On that machine, using
the external modem worked fine (the same external modem).

Does anyone know what's going on?  Is there a fix?

Andrew

--

Andrew McNaughton
+64 4 389 6891