Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 1995 08:19:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      faulkner@mpd.tandem.com (Boyd Faulkner)
To:        gary@wcs.uq.oz.au (Gary Roberts)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The Mentors' Club (was Re: Gating hackers ... )

> Paul Richards writes:
>
> > We could have a re-queue list so if a mentor gets asigned a problem they
> > can't handle they can bounce it re-queue and it'll get unassigned from
> > them and re-assigned to a new mentor.
>
> If we already have a relationship established, we want to preserve it
> if possible.  The mentor has that newbie's past history which is then lost
> if the newbie is too easily bounced on to a new mentor.  Wouldn't it be
> better for the mentor to ask (say on the mentors list) and see if anyone
> can give him a quick pointer to the answer.  That way the newbie retains
> his one to one relationship, *and* his confidence in his mentor.  Maybe
> a mentor could bounce the very *first* request he gets from a particular
> newbie if he feels (for example) that this newbie is already more
> advanced than he is.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Gary Roberts  (gary@wcs.uq.edu.au) (Ph +617 844 0400   Fax +617 844 0444)
> 4th Floor, South Bank House, 234 Grey St, South Bank  QLD 4101  Australia.

My belief is that the newbie is better served and the mentor is more
interested in mentoring if the setups are similar.  I cannot test my
ideas on certain hardware before trying to illuminate the client and
jerking him around on a chain isn't going to give him a warm fuzzy.

It is my intention that the newbie get passed on the first request.
If we get a hardware list from the newbie and share one among ourselves,
we can reroute the newbie coreectly on the first try and the guy trying
to get his GUS MAX to work can talk to a guy that has one.  This makes
us look better.  It will make them feel better.  I'm not concerned about
not knowing the answer.  I am concerned about being able to work on
questions I have the facilities to research and test.  It doesn't have
to be a perfect match, just a fair one.

Boyd

 Boyd Faulkner                                  faulkner@isd.tandem.com