Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:31:57 -0600
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   xdm doesn't work

Has anyone got xdm working?  If I run startx from a root shell the X
server comes up just fine, with working xterms, but when I run xdm the
screen switches modes, draws the background, then goes blank and then
back to the vty.  The xdm process is still there, but no X server
process, and no clue in the xdm-errors file.

This is 4.0 current as of last week, with XFree86 built from the port
with Doug Rabson's patch, running on an AS200-4/233 with a Diamond S3
Trio64 board and the XF86_S3 server.