Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 02:41:22 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Gallagher, Mick" <mick.gallagher@roke.co.uk>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: User-PPP not seeing incoming PPP packets on 3.4R

> Hi All,
>
> I'm running 3.4R, and trying to get a PPP link established with my ISP.
>
> My /etc/ppp/ppp.conf script pretty much looks like the default example
> script, modified to include my ISP login details.
>
> If I run ppp -backgound <labelname>, then the PPP connection fails.
>
> A brief examination of /var/log/ppp.log implies that the initial outgoing
> LCP config-req is generated and sent, but no reply is received from the ISP.
>
> I don't buy this - the ISP connection works fine with my Windows box.
>
> And so...
>
> (i) Any ideas?

Your best bet is to go back to basics using ``term''.  Otherwise,
enable chat logging to ensure that the expected conversation is
happening with your modem.  Also ensure that you haven't got
something like ``set openmode passive'' in your config.

> (ii) Can anyone tell me how to get tcpdump to look at the bpf tun thing, so
> I can actually monitor the packet flow?

You'll see nothing until ppp has established a connection.  Once this
has happened you can just ``tcpdump tun0'' to see traffic.

> ..and..
>
> (iii) The PPP link actually _worked_ at some point in the past, but I didn't
> save the config script (doh!). I'm pretty sure its the same as it is now,
> except for one (possibly crucial) difference: Since PPP worked, I installed
> an ethernet NIC, and configured the i/f IP address of the NIC as 10.0.0.1.
> Because of this, I changed the default 'dummy' PPP local tun address from
> 10.0.0.1 to 11.0.0.1. (The original PPP 10.0.0.1 address comes from the
> example ppp.conf file).

10.0.0.1 is fine - even though it conflicts with your NIC.  You can
have as many conflicting IP numbers as you like as long as at most
one of them is on a broadcast media.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>