Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 1998 17:21:05 +0000
From:      Nicolas Souchu <Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <netchild@wurzelausix.cs.uni-sb.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printer didn't work after cvsup

On Mon, Aug 24, 1998 at 12:04:59PM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>Hi,

G'Day !

>short:
>cvsup from 21th & 22th.
>After make world/kernel my printer didn't print anymore.
>(nlpt0, ppbus)
>
>long:
>It's a Deskjet500 compatible printer.
>
>After turning power on (printer) it resets itself (thats normal, all LEDs
>on for a short time, after that the LEDs display the status).
>But instead of going online all LEDs went on again. It seems my printer
>gets a permanent reset signal (If the PC isn't turned on, the same thing
>happens, so i assume there is something "LOW" which must be "HIGH").
>If I send something directly (echo blubb >/dev/lpt0) the LEDs display for a
>short time the status, but after that the went all on again.
>If I print something (lpr xxx) nothing going on (it gets schedulled
>correctly in the queue, which isn't stopped or disabled).

Ok. When do you see the leds coming up again? I propose you to remove the
pnp_detect() call from /sys/dev/ppbus/ppbconf.c and tell me.

*** ppbconf.c   1998/08/04 20:21:04     1.1.1.2
--- ppbconf.c   1998/08/30 17:18:44
***************
*** 257,264 ****
--- 257,266 ----
        LIST_INIT(&ppb->ppb_devs);      /* initialise device/driver list */
        p_drvpp = (struct ppb_driver **)ppbdriver_set.ls_items;

+ #if 0
        /* detect PnP devices */
        ppb->class_id = ppb_pnp_detect(ppb);
+ #endif

        /*
         * Blindly try all probes here.  Later we should look at

--
Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr
FreeBSD - Turning PCs into workstations - http://www.FreeBSD.org