Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:43:13 +0200
From:      Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
To:        Jose <jose@fibre.a2000.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Can't detect second NIC

Hi,

Have a look at the man page for the ed(4) driver.

man 4 ed

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 01:51:04PM +0200, Jose wrote:
> Hi I have a problem, I'm using freebsd 4.0, and I have two NIC's in my system.
> A 3com 905b TX, through this card I get on the internet, I get an ip via DHCP for my cable modem. (This one works perfectly)
>
> I also have a NE2000 isa card, it's a REALTEK 8019 that's on irq = 11, port 240. It's in PnP mode.
> FreeBSD can't detect my realtek, I even tried to put my card in jumperless, on irq 3 port 300. But It doesn't get detected.

Try port 0x280 irq 10 in jumperless mode as per the man page. Just keep in mind that
irq 3 might be used by the com ports.

> This card works perfectly under win98/NT server, and linux. But I can't get it working under FreeBSD.
>
> Can anyone please help me, the manual really doesn't say very much about, more NIC's in the same system, and how to configure both cards. I normally check with dmesg if ed0 is available, and see if I can select it from /stand/sysinstall in networking. Do I have to change something in my rc.conf?? Please tell me the steps how I can get this working.
>
> I have included my kernel configuration and a copy of dmesg as an attachment.
>
> I always get this when I'm booting, is this a configuration error? And if so, how can I solve it???
> config> di sn0
> No such device: sn0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di lnc0
> No such device: lnc0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di le0
> No such device: le0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di ie0
> No such device: ie0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di fe0
> No such device: fe0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di ed0
          ^^^^^^
mmm! This might explain your problem. Edit the /boot/kernel.conf file
and delete the "di ed0" line and see if this helps.

> config> di cs0
> No such device: cs0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di bt0
> No such device: bt0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di aic0
> No such device: aic0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di aha0
> No such device: aha0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di adv0
> No such device: adv0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> q

Could be that you configured the GENERIC kernel when you installed to
disable certain drivers, which are not in your custom kernel. Have a look
at /boot/kernel.conf file. It would also seem that you have disabled the
ed drive in the /boot/kernel.conf file.

> I would like to thank you all in advance, and I hope you can help me.
>
> Jose Vazquez

[snip - dmesg output]

Regards
Willem Brown
--
 /*      Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. The choice is yours.      */

Indecision is the basis for flexibility.