Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2017 23:59:31 +1000
From:      Paul Koch <paul.koch137@gmail.com>
To:        Anthony Jenkins <Scoobi_doo@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Elantech touch pad not found on ASUS UX430U laptop

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 09:26:04 -0400
Anthony Jenkins <Scoobi_doo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Woops... meant to send that in plain text.
>
> On 08/28/2017 09:25 AM, Anthony Jenkins wrote:
> > Your Elantech touchpad is probably connected over I2C, and FreeBSD
> > doesn't support I2C touchpads.  Support could probably be ported from
> > Linux, I just don't have the time, hardware or desire to do it.    I
> > think the hard part would be probing I2C controllers in the system and
> > then probing each one for your touchpad.
> >
> > If you'd like to take a stab at adding support, I might be able to
> > hold your hand a little.  Having access to Linux kernel logs would at
> > least make it easier to add support for your particular system.

Thanks.  I'll try booting it from Linux again tomorrow and dig up as much
info from its logs.  I actually thought it was connected to the PCI bus, but
it's been a few weeks since I did it.

Oddly, my current old wearing out ASUS BU400A laptop running 10.1 detects an
i2c controller and probes its bus, but the new UX430U running 12 doesn't
detect any i2c controller.  I've tried loading all the kernel modules for it,
but still nothing found, and no /dev/iicXX devices.

	Paul.