Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 04:43:25 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
To:        sreid@sea-to-sky.net
Cc:        van.woerkom@netcologne.de, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Success: Quake 3 DemoTest under FreeBSD with Matrox G200

> been watching the glx-dev list and I don't think there's been much
> development on the RIVA front. Nearly all of the development seems to be
> on the Matrox cards because their specs are open.

nvidia has a developer kit online, and in fact they just updated
it. It might be possible that they put in more information but I
doubt it. I will look at it next week.

> If my experience with the MGA code is any indication, any problems
> should be easily solvable by #ifdef'ing out the Linux-specific parts.

That is the benefit of the X Server stuff been maintained nice for
FreeBSD as well. Let's hope we will get similiar FreeBSD support for
DRI, which depends on the Linux folks not doing too crazy stuff with
their first implementations. The 3dfx one seems out, again something
to check.. :)

> The GLX module was compiled under FreeBSD using the egcs port
> (gcc295). The X server is a FreeBSD binary, from ftp.freebsd.org.

Here glx and X have been built from source with the compiler
from -current (2.91.66). In fact everyone using a -current from
after the changes to signal handling (see src/UPDATING) needs
to recompile X, if I remember right.

> I'm not sure how that equation will change when direct rendering becomes
> available under FreeBSD.

Might depend on the shared memory layout being equal between FreeBSD
and Linux. Guess we will have to do what they do, to keep emulation
fast.

> I haven't updated my linux_base since I installed FBSD 3.2-R, but I'm
> quite certain linux_base doesn't include the extras required for 3D.

libglut was missing, the others were in a different version present
on my system. However these could be remains from older tries to get
some q3test running.

> Mesa 3.2-dev is the stabilizing-for-release version of Mesa 3.1, in case
> you're wondering. The unstable development version is now 3.3.

I am subscribed to mesa-dev list, but had absolutly no time for reading
during the last two months. Next week I will have time again to
evaluate things.

Regards,
Marc