Date:      Tue, 04 Nov 2003 13:54:00 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do hackers drive?

Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Brad Knowles wrote:
>
>>At 9:42 AM -0800 2003/10/31, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
>>
>>>Not in .uk, .hk, or .au (or any other country where people drive on the
>>>left side of the road).  :-)
>>
>>	Add Singapore, Thailand, and Japan, and presumably much of the
>>rest of Asia.  Dunno about China.
>
> .cn drivers drive on the right side.  In places I've been, however,
> the bicyclists generally ride whereever they darn well feel like it,
> including the wrong way down freeway exit ramps.  :-)

Exactly!  That's because bicyclists should be able to do whatever they
want!  After all, they're super-human (look at Lance Armstrong).

On a more serious note, the bicycle vs. car problem in the US is
horrendous.  (If you haven't picked up, I'm an avid cyclist)  Vehicle
drivers seem to feel that bicycles have no place on the road, and in
their enthusiasm to prove how much faster than a bicycle they can
travel, they are often the cause of fatal accidents.
This situation is made worse by the recent "bike trail" trend.  The
car community seems to think that bicycles _belong_ on trails, and
are invading their space on the roads.  Never mind the fact that
most of these trails are _useless_ because they don't _go_ anywhere,
and I can't use them to ride back and forth to work.  Additionally,
they are notoriously short: when I used to race, I would have to do
50+ laps around the local park trail to get a decent workout in,
which is very boring.  Even then, it was a sub-optimal workout,
because bike trails avoid hills, which are critical to training.

The flip side of the coin is just as you describe it, however,
many cyclists don't think they have to follow the rules of the road.
In proof against this, my ex-gf's father (also an avid cyclist) once
got a speeding ticket for going 45 in a 25 zone on his bike (he got
it framed ... then paid it) so it just goes to show how screwed up
the situation is.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies