Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 1999 09:38:30 +1100 (EST)
From:      Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>
To:        MARIO RODRIGUEZ <earthpanther@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I have a problem

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, MARIO RODRIGUEZ wrote:

> HI, i wish download the FreeBSD fron your ftp site, but i dont know
> which files i need for install freebsd in my computer, i hope that
> you may helpme...ok thanks
>

>From the FAQ (http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ.html) in section 2..

[start paste..]

2. Installation

2.1. Which file do I download to get FreeBSD?

You generally need just one floppy image, the floppies/boot.flp file,
which you image-copy onto a 1.44MB floppy and then boot from in order
to download the rest (and the installation will manage your TCP/IP
connection, deal with tapes, CDROMs, floppies, DOS partitions,
whatever's necessary to get the rest of the bits installed).

If you need to download the distributions yourself (for a DOS
filesystem install, for instance), below are some recommendations for
distributions to grab:

	o bin/
	o manpages/
	o compat*/
	o doc/
	o src/ssys.*

Full instructions on this procedure and a little bit more about
installation issues in general can be found in the Handbook entry on
installing FreeBSD.

[end paste..]

For a minimum install, all you really need is bin/, but the manpages
are _highly_ recommended as well.  The others are optional.

Also, you might want to read the Handbook and the FAQ before posting
questions.  It's alot easier to find someone willing to help if you've
read what's available, and it also helps keep traffic on the list a
little lower.

FAQ:		http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ.html
Handbook:	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook.html

--