Date:      Mon, 05 Jan 2009 20:46:12 +0100
From:      Christian Brueffer <brueffer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Daniel Gerzo <danger@FreeBSD.org>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r186737 - head/sbin/geom/class/virstor

--4bRzO86E/ozDv8r1

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 06:14:56PM +0100, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> On 2009.01.04 17:48:42 +0100, Daniel Gerzo wrote:
> > Hello Christian,
> >=20
> > Sunday, January 4, 2009, 4:58:32 PM, you wrote:
> >=20
> > > While using .Ex is good, collapsing EXIT STATUS into DIAGNOSTICS is n=
ot.
> > > EXIT STATUS is a standard section in our manpages and it's orthogonal=
> > > DIAGNOSTICS.
> >=20
> > I am fine to revert this part, however I have trimmed this section
> > just because I didn't see it listed in the PAGE STRUCTURE DOMAIN
> > section of the mdoc(7) manual page.
> >=20
> > Interestingly, it lists the DIAGNOSTICS section and explicitly
> > says that .Ex macro should be used there.
> >=20
> > If is it still preferred to revert this change, I would like to see
> > this section added to the mdoc(7). Thoughts?
>=20
> I really like having EXIT STATUS as a seperate section so I can
> quickly find out what a program can return with.
>=20
> The example(1) (/usr/share/examples/mdoc/example.1) does have EXIT
> STATUS.
>=20
> I think mentioning it in mdoc(7) seems like a good idea, but you
> should probably get ru@'s input on that.
>=20

Right, I think ru simply forgot to document it or didn't document it
because mdoc(7) is a vendor manpage and EXIT STATUS is a "non-standard
mdoc" FreeBSD-specific section.

> PS. ping(1) uses RETURN VALUES section instead which should probably
> be changed.
>=20

Yes, also a nice example of a utility that uses more than just 0 and 1
as exit status.

- Christian

--=20
Christian Brueffer	chris@unixpages.org	brueffer@FreeBSD.org
GPG Key:	 http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/brueffer.key.asc
GPG Fingerprint: A5C8 2099 19FF AACA F41B  B29B 6C76 178C A0ED 982D

--4bRzO86E/ozDv8r1

--4bRzO86E/ozDv8r1--