Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 17:46:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        eischen@vigrid.com, mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.org, jb@cimlogic.com.au, jdp@polstra.com, obrien@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: porting libjava to FreeBSD

Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> Daniel Eischen once stated:
>
> =John Polstra wrote:
> => Ick.
> =
> =Ick indeed.
>
> This "icks" may offend the libjava people :) I removed them from the CC:

Since FreeBSD threads run in one process, using a signal to suspend
a thread _is_ icky :-)

> => I think it would be better to suspend threads using
> => pthread_suspend_np().
> =
> =Yep.
>
> So,  should  I  just  patch  it  up,  or  would  there  be  a  need  for
> freebsd_threads.c anyway? Can one of the "thread people", please, send a
> (even  if untested)  patch?  The linux_threads.c  is  included for  your
> convenience. Yours,

I would make a freebsd_threads.c and use other models as examples.
Remember that FreeBSD threads are user threads, and some of the
things the Linux thread support does, we don't have to.  I don't
know that Linux threads is a good model to use because of this.

Dan Eischen
eischen@vigrid.com