Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 2003 15:55:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Daniela <dgw@liwest.at>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange things going on with 4.8

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Daniela wrote:

> > How did you test the memory? Generally short of using a hardware SIMM
> > tester its very difficult to identify bad modules. memtest86 run over the
> > period of several hours can sometimes work.
> >
> > BIOS "tests" don't count.
>
> I used sysutils/memtest from the ports, and let it run over night.
> BTW, is there some kind of "operating system" that boots off a floppy and just
> tests the memory? That would be useful because memtest can't test all the
> memory.

Yes, memtest86. its a boot floppy image.

> What other diagnostic software could I use?

Well the problem with testing memory with software is that its not
necessarily possible to hammer it hard enough to trigger the problem.  If
you can reproduce it easily you might try cycling out one dimm and then
trying to crash it. If removing a dimm fixes it then you probably took out
the bad one.

Also of course check your heatsink is operating correctly.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org