Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 15:10:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Youse <cyouse@cybersites.com>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sockets and SYSTEM V message queue

Binding the socket actually creates the entry in the filesystem, and as
stated in the manpage for bind(2), you must unlink it to get rid of it
when you're finished.

As the other respondent mentioned (my apologies to that other respondent,
I've already deleted your reply and hence don't have your name handy),
using UNIX domain sockets makes migration to separate machines more
difficult. It might be better to bind an AF_INET socket to 127.0.0.1 (to
prevent other machines from accessing the service, if that's your concern)
.. the loopback interface is pretty quick about turning packets around,
so there's little (if any) performance hit.

Chuck Youse
Director of Systems
cyouse@cybersites.com