Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2007 07:42:49 -0500
From:      Spencer PriceNash <spencer@io.com>
To:        Byron Campbell <wa4geg@surfbest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, andy@athame.co.uk, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>
Subject:   FIX: Re: X fails after upgrade to xorg-7.2; FreeBSD AMD64 w/ Radeon 9600 Pro

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 08:48:53PM -0400, Byron Campbell wrote:

> On Monday 18 June 2007 7:52:55 pm Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> > Byron Campbell wrote:
>
> Thanks for the input Mark. I did a make deinstall / reinstall
> of both xorg-7.2 and xorg-drivers-7.2.

I managed to get things working again after several days of trying
a number of things including portupgrade -f -a (which I needed to
do anyway...).

I'm not sure this is a real fix, but X now works after I used
xorgconfig to generat an /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

startx works like a charm.  The startup was perhaps five seconds
slower than I'm accustomed.  Otherwise, ctl-alt-F1 gets me to a
console and ctl-alf-F9 takes me back to X.

Back to normal.

Before using xorgconfig, X -configure generated an xorg.conf that
gave me a black screen from which only a reboot could recover.

> [...]
> Xorg -configure no longer reports the "undefind symbol...."
> but I still get a black screen when testing the config,
> with "out of range OSD when using a VGA to monitor cable, and
> just a black screen (no OSD message) with the DVI cable.
> Tried a second monitor also, same results. And under these
> conditions I can't Alt F2 etc. to console, but must hit
> the "reset" for a dirty reboot.

Same black screen happened here.  Load increases until the box
either hangs completely or reboots, or I quickly log in remotely
and reboot.

> Xorg -configure now reports:
>
> (++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
> (WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID
> PCI:1:0:1) found
> (**) RADEON(0): RADEONPreInit

Same thing happened to me.

> [...]
> Thanks Andy, Mark for your help. But it looks like it is time
> for plan #2; Reinstall from scratch but no X, cvsup ports to
> latest and then do a fresh install of xorg-7.2. Maybe this
> weekend's project...

Try using xorgconfig's result.

There are some niceties about the video that I'm lacking, but I
don't do those anyway.
--
Spencer PriceNash  spencer@io.com    many other addresses
http://www.io.com/~spencer           many other sites