Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 08:18:45 -0700
From:      Cameron Watters <cam-listsubs@h2os.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CD-ROM install problems (like 4.6-RELEASE problem)

(NOTE--I am not subscribed, so please reply to me as well as the list)

I'm having a problem installing 4.6.2-RELEASE and 4.7-RELEASE (haven't
tried any others yet) when installing from CD-ROM using a Hitachi
GD-3000.
The drive is the master on the secondary on-board controller. The machine
boots up fine off of the CD, then when attempting to extract the
distributions I select, it hangs. Error messages on VTY2? (alt-F2):

acd0: READ_BIG command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
acd0: read data overrun 2048/0

The final message (read data overrun) repeats 8-12 times, then the group
starts over. The main installer screen hangs saying it's extracting /bin.

Any help would be appreciated. I can provide more details if necessary.

P.S. If a duplicate of this message shows up in a few days, i'm sorry.
one of my hosting providers doesn't maintain dns very well

--cameron