Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 23:42:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jrs <jrs@CERF.NET>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, bugs@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange behavior of uha0 device in config.

I recently (this week) purchased FreeBSD Release 2.0.5 through
Walnut Creek.

I am having a problem getting the default kernel to recognize my SCSI
controller.  The sequence is this:

1. Make the boot floppy.
2. Boot the floppy and enter '-c' for config.
3. Device uha0 (UltraStore 34F localbus) defaults to port 0x330.
4. Mine is set to port 0x230.
5. I use the command 'port uha0 0x230' to reset the port.
6. Issue the command 'probe uha0' and comes back with good status.
7. Issue the 'ls' command and device uha0 shows ok.
8. Any further activity on that device causes the device to change to
   uha1 with the error message device number too high.  This can be
   verified by simply issuing a second 'probe uha0' command.

This should not happen.  Device uha0 should now respond on port 0x230
and not turn into device uha1.

And yes, because of another hardware conflict, I need to have the UltraStore
on port 0x230.

Thank you,

Jim Stutt

"Your enemy is never a villian in his own eyes. Keep this in mind; it may
 offer a way to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without hate
 -- and quickly." -- LL