Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:14:26 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        James Smallacombe <james@pil.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Copying binaries to new server

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 03:57:53PM -0400, James Smallacombe wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> >
> > True, but I think the poster was suggesting that dump/restore is
> > a better way than using tar.
>
> I'm not as familiar with BSD dump...does it compress well?  Also, what's this?
>
> su-2.05b# dump -0L -f ns1.usr.dump /usr
>   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Tue Oct 24 15:52:01 2006
>   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
>   DUMP: Dumping snapshot of /dev/da0s1d (/usr) to ns1.usr.dump
>   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
>   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
>   DUMP: estimated 3077070 tape blocks on 79.03 tape(s).
>   DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
>   DUMP: Closing ns1.usr.dump
>   DUMP: Change Volumes: Mount volume #2
>   DUMP: Is the new volume mounted and ready to go?: ("yes" or "no") yes
>   DUMP: Volume 2 begins with blocks from inode 149561
>   DUMP: Closing ns1.usr.dump
>   DUMP: Change Volumes: Mount volume #3
>   DUMP: Is the new volume mounted and ready to go?: ("yes" or "no")
>
> What volume?  The one I'm dumping?  If so, why does it keep asking whether
> it's mounted?  What are all these different volume numbers?  I just want to
> dump /usr to one file, compressing and preserving permissions and symlinks as
> much as possible, so I can restore it to a new server.

It is asking for the next "tape".   You apparently left off the 's'
flag which you want to use when you write to a file.  Otherwise it
assumes you are writing to a tape type of media and it tries to
guess how big the tape is based on other values you might give it - but
if you don't tell it anything, it uses very old very small values
for media size.

So, anyway, you need the 'a' flag for dumps to a file.

////jerry