Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 14:25:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ugo Paternostro <paterno@dsi.UNIFI.IT>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Subject:   Re: PnP support for if_ed, and more...

On 13-Jun-98 Mike Smith wrote about "Re: PnP support for if_ed, and more...":
>> that I should avoid mixing the diffs togheter. What do you suggest?
>
> You're correct that the two should be separate.  Luigi has commit
> access now I think, and failing that Eivind has practice in that area...

I'm sorry to say that Luigi doesn't want to have commit privs... I'm talking to
Eivind about committing the patches, no problems. (BTW, Eivind, will you
receive any copy of what gnats notes about a PR now that you're responsible for
it?)

>> Should I fix/remove bogus/useless Vendor IDs from if_ed.c and sio.c?
>
> Yes.
[...snip...]
> If you don't have it, err on the side of caution. (That's kinda
> obvious, really 8)

I will just remove the WSC9008 id that I added (and that I still can test), but
I will leave the SupraExpress ID.

I have one more question: in sio.c I found this definition:

  #define EXTRA_SIO 2

while in -current if_ed.c I found:

  #define EXTRA_ED 8

Shouldn't it be better to have

  #define EXTRA_SIO MAX_PNP_CARDS

In both sources? It is _theorically_ possible to have 8 (MAX_PNP_CARDS) PnP
cards of the same type, so why should we be ready for that? I propose to change
both definitions. Unlucky, we have to move them after the "#include
<i386/isa/pnp.h>" line...

FYI we (Luigi and me) agreed to change the return value of the xxxpnp_probe
routines to avoid probing twice if the LDN is disabled (i.e.: now the routine
returns a NULL pointer if the ID is unknown, a pointer to a null string if the
LDN is disabled and a pointer to a non null string otherwise).

> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith

Bye, UP