Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:32:27 -1000
From:      NetOpsCenter <noc@hdk5.net>
To:        Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, =?windows-1252?Q?Nuno_Gon=E7alves?= <nuno@fccn.pt>
Subject:   Re: Bare Metal Recovery FreeBSD How To

Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> Nuno Gonçalves wrote:
>
>> I am trying to do a Bare Metal Recovery from a FreeBSD 6.0 system to a
>> different Hardware.
>>
>> I have a backup from all partitions of the affected system so I am
>> trying to
>> install a minimum FreeBSD 6.0 in a different hardware which I already
>> have
>> up and running.
>
> What kind of backup?  Is it a dump(8) file?
>
>> I created a Swap Partition, a “/” partition where the minimum system is
>> running, and a third partition “/backup” in which I will restore the
>> backup
>> through the network.
>>
>> Next step will be to change the boot manager and make it boot through
>> “/backup”.
>>
>> Do you guys think this is doable?
>>
>> I Think I probably must recompile the kernel after the bare metal
>> recovery
>> because the hardware is different, still do you think it might work?
>
> Did the kernel have a lot of customization?  A GENERIC kernel should
> boot on almost anything --- which is why "bare metal recovery" seems a
> misnomer to me.  If the hard disk survives, I simply stick it in
> another box and rarely have any difficulties.  If it doesn't, I do
> a minimal install with the desired final slice/partition scheme on the
> new HDD, and simply restore(8) over the top.
>
>> What is your opinion on this? What should be the best approach ?
>
> Well, I don't know your exact situation, but OOTOMH, the partitioning
> scheme you mention seems like wasting a disk unless you want the
> final system to have only /, swap, and /backup.  Which could be
> OK, I guess, but isn't the traditional BSD Right Way(tm).
>
> Also, I'd consider installing a newer release than 6.0, and only
> restoring the important stuff.  Again, it depends on your situation.
>
> My $.02,
>
> Kevin Kinsey
I agree with Kevin.

If the HD is ok just stick it in a new box and it will work with most
current motherboards. I have done this many times.
All you may have to re configure is your network if the nic on the new
box  is different.

  + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org + noc@hdk5.net +
  + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* +