Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2019 05:53:33 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
Subject:   Re: mini-laptop / netbook for FreeBSD

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

On 2019-Feb-26 06:37:29 +0100, Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:
>These Acer C720, also called Chromebook, have been sold for around 200 Eur=
o.
>I've bought two of them, and later one more as 2nd hand for half of this
>price. They could not boot any other OS, like Linux or FreeBSD, only
>CHromeOS. But the work of Michael and other made them to a general
>purpose netbook. Something in this direction I'm hunting for.

There are a fairly wide range of Chromebooks still around.  Most are now x86
based.  ChromeOS is based on Linux so it may be possible to find the source
for drivers for any hardware not supported by FreeBSD.  I have no idea how
difficult it is to install FreeBSD on an arbitrary Chromebook but Google
state that they will remain "open" so you can unlock the bootloader and
replace ChromeOS with something else.

--=20
Peter Jeremy
Typed on a Chromebook running ChromeOS