Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 1998 10:02:46 +0800 (GMT)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@public.bta.net.cn>
To:        michaelg@n-space.com.au, nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        boia01@gel.usherb.ca, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, gunther@aurora.rg.iupui.edu
Subject:   Re: green threads vs. native threads ...

Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com> writes:
>> I came in on this thread late, so I'm not sure if this has been asked, but
>> does the FreeBSD-Java team have any plans for a native threads VM?
>
>You have to have native-threads in the OS before you can expect to have
>the JDK use them.  It's kind of a moot point to ask for the JDK to use
>something that doesn't exist.

Would it be a moot point to ask for the FreeBSD kernel to support native
threads?  As it is, the FreeBSD Linux emulation is getting more and more
broken as more and more software makes use of Linux native threads support.

Once FreeBSD gets too far behind the curve in this respect, it will start
to lose developer mindshare, and end up a museum piece.

	-Micahel Robinson