Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 19:43:06 +0100 (CET)
From:      Adam Szilveszter <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        Dan Piponi <dan@tanelorn.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A few questions

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Dan Piponi wrote:

> > IMHO its rather impossible to dump Windoze completely. If you want to use
> > all the nicenst things that flow around in the net.
>
> Do you mean 'buy' as opposed to 'flow around in the net'? I've bought some
> great Windows software but the good stuff on the web is generally for
> Unix-like operating systems.
Hi!

Well, I have used Win95 and NT4 for a while (also DOS and Win3.1, for that
matter *grin*) before switching to FreeBSD. I have an average PC with
average hardware wich means nothing obscure but also nothing
state-of-the-art. I had almost no previous UNIX experience unless you
consider reading your mail on a shell account "experience". I was
interested to see what the whole thing was about and also the time was
approaching when staying with NT would have meant investing heavily in
hardware. I made the change and deleted Win completely. It took me some
time to make things work (esp the sound with SB64) so I used a differnt
machine until then but now everything is great. I never even think of
using Win these days for anything. And of course, no h/w upgrade was
needed.

OTOH I can understand that people who are keen on games will still stick
to Win9x but apart from that, FBSD now has pretty much everything else you
might need... also in terms of h/w support. (at least if you do not want
any of those "designed for Win9x/NT" things...it's absurd to design
general hardware to suit a particular OS anyway.) as for the things that
"flow around", well I think the original poster might have been referring
to some Web
content that can be had only if you have some great plugins/ActiveX
controls and these are mostly for Win only...in terms of s/w I really
could not name amnything the average user would miss...

Cheers:

Szilveszter ADAM