Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 15:21:41 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        ajohn@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us (Anil John)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Compiling kernel for ATAPI CD-ROM error - fatal signal 11- what is it?

Anil John writes:

> Greg Lehey[SMTP:grog@lemis.de] wrote:
>>
>> OK, you're not done yet.  So it's pretty certain that you have a cache
>> problem.  Now you need to find out whether it's a hardware problem or
>> incorrect configuration.  Many BIOSes have cache burst configuration
>> options (cache wait states, or burst configurations like 3-2-2-2 or
>> 2-1-1-1 or some such).  The cache is 128 bits wide, but the memory bus
>> is only 32 bits wide, so it needs 4 cycles to transfer a cache line.
>> The 3-2-2-2 means that the first transfer takes 3 bus cycles, and the
>> following ones only 2.  I'd guess that you have your cache set up for
>> too few cycles.
>>

> I know what you mean The above settings are in my BIOS on my other machine.
>  But I have an old Award BIOS on my system and I do not know what the
> corresponding items are.  The relevent options on it are (* marks what I
> had when I got errors):
>
> Decoupled Refresh:  	Enabled*/Disabled
> Relocate 256k/384k:		Enabled*/Disabled
> Video BIOS Cacheble:	Enabled/Disabled*
> System BIOS Cacheble:	Enabled/Disabled*
>
> External cache scheme:	Wr-Through*/Write-Back
> Combine Alter & Tag Bits:	Enabled*/Disabled
> Memory hole at 15Mb Addr:	Enabled/Disabled*
> Cache Timing Control:	Normal/Fast/Turbo*
> DRAM Timing Control:	Normal/Fast*
> Fast DRAM:			Enabled*/Disabled
> Burst Write:			Enabled/Disabled*
> CPU Write Back Cache:	Enabled*/Disabled
> P24T Cache Replace BLAST:	Enabled/Disabled*

OK, at a guess I'd change these ones:

> Cache Timing Control:	Normal*/Fast/Turbo
> DRAM Timing Control:	Normal*/Fast
> Fast DRAM:			Enabled/Disabled*

If that fixes the problem, it will also slightly slow down the machine
(probably not enough to be noticable).  If you really want to squeeze
out the last 0.5% performance, you can then gradually try speeding
things up.  The trouble is, you can easily get the machine into a
marginally unstable situation where it fails in strange ways only when
your back it turned.

Greg