Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:29:55 +0000
From:      John Murphy <john253@crosswinds.net>
To:        Den <ticktick@lineone.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP

Den wrote:

>Hello questions,
>
>  Hi All
>
>  I have a few questions.

Me too :-)

>  1) I enabled the Firewall, and now when i use ppp it says
>  device already in use, and then says cant add route tun1

Is this the ppp firewall?  There are others (ipfw & ipfilter).

Which version of FreeBSD are you running.  I noticed that user ppp is
started by the 'ppp_enable=3D"YES"' line in /etc/rc.conf since 4.1 or so.

>  2) and when i boot up, it automatically dials my modem (i just
>  noticed this, god knows how big my phone bill is), how do i turn
>  this off

Ooops; can't help with the phone bill but you need to put:
'ppp_mode=3D"auto"' in /etc/rc.conf so that ppp only dials when =
necessary.
Also put ' set timeout 300' in your ppp.conf so that ppp will close the
connection if there's no activity for 5 minutes.

>  3) what do i put in ppp.conf to allow me to use ppp without having
>  to be in root, it says in the "man" add the line "add user", i did,
>  but dont know the syntex, i have my Normal user ID in the network
>  group, but when i use PPP, it says DENIED

I believe the syntax to be ' allow users john' in my case.

>  if anyone can help, it would be much appricated, im not expecting
>  step by step details, just to be pushed or even kicked in the right
>  direction!

man 8 ppp
/usr/share/examples/ppp/ppp.conf.sample
and http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/index.html