Date:      Sat, 07 Feb 1998 09:04:47 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@demon.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot floppy banner

Mike Smith writes:

>It occurred to me this morning that the *ideal* behaviour would be as
>follows:
>
>If boot.banner exists, display it, else if boot.help exists, display it.
>Don't have a 'help' command.  Instead, if an unrecognised command is
>entered, and finding a kernel named thus fails, look for a file named
>boot.<command> and display it instead.

Makes sense.. though as others have mentioned, perhaps it's time
to move all this stuff to /boot/xxx rather than /boot.xxx, to
prevent clutter in /

>This lets you have more than one help screen, just for openers.  It
>might even reduce the code footprint a little.

Indeed.  Though we still seem to have the bad144 issue floating
around..  until that gets resolved, one way or the other, adding
in this extended boot help functionality is moot, since there's
not enough space in biosboot with BAD144 defined to add anything.

I'm also starting to tinker with FreeBSD/ELF -- I've read John's
comments about the bootloader that supports both a.out and ELF
kernels being too big (presumably because it has the BAD144 cruft
in it as well).

If we're serious about moving towards an ELF based system, then
something is going to *have* to disappear from the current biosboot
code in order to support a.out/ELF kernel loading - which means that
hard decisions are going to have to be made to determine what's going
to get deleted to make space for this extra code.

BAD144 support in biosboot certainly seems to be a prime contender
for deletion to support any extra functionality.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Demon Internet, Austin, Texas.