Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:14:39 -0500
From:      nathan <beemern@telecom.ksu.edu>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   help resolving nfs mount issue

I am in an argument with another sysadmin about who has to restart what
for nfs mounting.
he's a solaris admin, and says since i wanna run "non-standard freebsd"
its on ME to figure out what I did wrong.

The other admin ("Gary") installed a new NFS system and migrated data
over from the old to the new and brought the new one online.  Ever
since, i haven't been able to reestablish my nfs mount points with this:

[root@sabre /root]# mount -t nfs -o rw blackhawk2:/home /nfs
nfs: can't access /home: Permission denied
[root@sabre /root]#

When asked, Gary said he had forgotten to add my machine to the NFS
server's allowed hosts.
he added, and since then i get this:

[root@sabre /root]# showmount -e blackhawk2 | more
Exports list on blackhawk2:
/home                              sabre.telecom.ksu.edu
caddo.telecom.ksu.edu .... (et al)

Now, I still can't mount /home from blackhawk2,  however, i CAN mount
several other nfs point from other machines.

Gary says that its MY machine with the problem and refuses to do
anything.
I asked him if he had bounced mountd or anything on the nfs machine (its
solaris) and he said "no" but it doesn't need it.  and won't help any
further, just saying "its YOUR problem .. not mine" he said if ANYTHING
needs bouncing, its MY freebsd box.
i likewise REFUSE to bounce/reboot my machine.  i've NEVER bounced my
box for anyting but OS/kernel updates and/or hardware upgrades and i
ain't 'bout to start now.

Who's right?