Date:      Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:27:17 +0100
From:      Glyn Millington <glyn@millingtons.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best upgrade strategy

Greetings!

I'm a newcomer to FreeBSD, an immigrant from the wonderful world of
Slackware Linux. Finished installing on Sunday!

I wanted to make sure the system was up to date with regard to security
fixes etc so used cvsup to upgrade  source and re-built the kernel - it
all went like a dream - what a system!!  What documentation!!

Enough rapture!  Here's the question Having installed 5.3 from cd, I
performed the above upgrade once and found that I was at version 6
Current! Back to the drawing board and started again with the following
line in my cvsup file

*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5

Better - I only find myself with a pre-release 5.4 :-)

That is fine, but at the point when 5.4 becomes the production release, I
would like simply to track that for security fixes etc rather than follow
the stable developement branch.

Can I acheive that simply by putting

*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_4

into my cvsup file, at the right time -ie as soon as 5.4 becomes
a production release? ?  Or will there be such
complications that it would be best to perform yet another install (which
is smooth but slow on my set-up).

Thanks in advance

Glyn