Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 2003 13:42:43 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Wayne Pascoe <freebsd-questions@penguinpowered.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Logging and IPFW

--DSayHWYpDlRfCAAQ

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 12:34:47PM +0100, Wayne Pascoe wrote:

> I'm trying to setup logging with IPFW. I've not compiled IPFW into my
> kernel, but am instead using the ipfw.ko module.=20
>=20
> I have the following sysctl variables set:
> net.inet.ip.fw.verbose=3D1
> net.inet.tcp.log_in_vain=3D1
> net.inet.udp.log_in_vain=3D1
>=20
> However, I am still not seeing anything in /var/log/messages when I
> portscan the machine. The firewall appears to be working, as we receive
> nothing back on the portscanning machine, but I would like logging
> enabled.=20

Try /var/log/security or /var/log/all.log if you've enabled the
all.log by following the instructions in /etc/syslog.conf.

Remember too that ipfw(8) will only log a certain number of hits
against a particular rule, which is a sensible measure designed to
prevent a DoS against your machine by filling up the disk space
logging a great flood of similar packets. That's controlled by the
IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT option in your kernel config, or by the
net.inet.ip.fw.verbose_limit sysctl.  I tend to think that the example
limit of 128 is too low, and bump that up to 1024.  Remember to run
'ipfw resetlog' at regular intervals to re-enable logging on any rule
that has hit the limit.  Just slap together a /etc/daily.local script
that needn't be any more complicated than this:

    #!/bin/sh
   =20
    PATH=3D/usr/bin:/bin:/sbin ; export PATH
   =20
    ipfw resetlog
   =20
	Cheers,