Date:      Sat, 17 Dec 2016 20:47:58 +0100
From:      Alphons van Werven <freebsd@skysmurf.nl>
To:        Michael Gmelin <grembo@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The ports collection has some serious issues

--wzJLGUyc3ArbnUjN

Michael Gmelin wrote:

> Maybe you could elaborate a bit more what you find so annoying about
> running "poudriere testport origin" before doing "svn commit" that you
> are willing to drop port maintainership over it?

Sure. In this case it's the precedent that bugs me.

Needless to say, not being a committer myself, whether/that said folks are
required to use Poudriere and/or Synth for their QA checking is ipso facto
none of my concern. However, I'm pretty sure I know what comes next. When
maintainers need to provide build/QA logs with their PRs (which I think in
many cases makes perfect sense to request, BTW) soon enough Portupgrade or
Portmaster logs, Portlint output, output of explicit
  # make check-foo && make bar-qa && make love && make install
and such will cease to suffice and those logs will be going to have to be
Poudriere and/or Synth logs specifically. In other words: I suspect it
won't be long before port maintainership will de facto force maintainers
to install, learn and use Poudriere and/or Synth. And it just so happens
that for me the former in particular is a definite no go for flight.

To put things into perspective, I do feel compelled to point out that this
is merely the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back. Or the spark
that ignited the gunpowder, if one happens to know what poudriere actually
means. I've been a FreeBSD stalwart since the turn of the century (if not
slightly earlier) and for the most part it has been wonderful. But ever
since some time during the 9.X era I started to pick up signs that the
FreeBSD project as a whole is moving into a direction that troubles me--in
some cases deeply indeed. Particularly during the last few months I found
myself increasingly strongly contemplating moving away from FreeBSD
altogether. And that is exactly what I've now decided to do.

There's nothing overly dramatic about that; it's a simple observation that
too many things involving the FreeBSD project in general are going in what
I consider undesirable directions, leading to the pragmatic conclusion
that, the past notwithstanding, FreeBSD is unfortunately no longer the
right operating system for me, neither personally nor professionally.

I'll assume the above was sufficiently elaborate.

Regards,

Fonz

--=20
A.J. "Fonz" van Werven <freebsd@skysmurf.nl>
Notice: this e-mail address wil expire on Sat 24 Dec 2016.

--wzJLGUyc3ArbnUjN

--wzJLGUyc3ArbnUjN--