Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2000 20:54:14 -0400
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycor@home.com>
To:        Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <mitayai@bricsnet.com>
Cc:        Ted Sikora <tsikora@home.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, "Chat@Gtabug. Org" <chat@gtabug.org>
Subject:   Re: PPPoE

Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe wrote:

> Ted,
>
> I believe that William was requesting a method to do a net install of
> FreeBSD with PPPoE.
>
> So, having been stuck at one point in this same situation (i live in
> Toronto, Canada, and the xDSL provided by Bell Sympatico uses PPPoE) i
> re-post the question:
>
> Is there any possibility of PPPoE being an **installation** option. If PPPoE
> is your only connection option to install FreeBSD, a post-install How-To
> won't really help much. :-(
>
> If it's a matter of demand, there's several thousand DSL subscribers in
> Canada who are stuck with PPPoE...

Just FYI, Bell Atlantic (I guess they're now called Verizon) is deploying
the same junk.  I mean, PPPoE is *so* wasteful, with THIRTY extra bytes
of overhead per frame (10 bytes of LLC/SNAP header, 14 bytes of Ethernet
header, plus 6 bytes of PPPoE header), compared to direct PPP over ATM.
So our northern friends are not alone in this situation...

Gary