Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2006 07:50:01 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Video sleep on dell d600 (6.1-release)

David Wolfskill wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 07:28:05AM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
>> Rich Winkel wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I can't seem to get the display to shut off when I press the lid switch.
>>> In /boot/loader.conf I have
>>> The system does go to sleep (at least the power indicator starts flashing)
>>> but the screen stays lit.  Does anyone have this running?
>> For my Dell's, I usually added a line into rc.suspend and rc.resume, to
>> toggle the acpi video sysctl.  Something like:
>
> Ummm... aren't these rather different issues?  That is, it looks to me
> as if one issue is
>
> * display status as a function of lid position
>
> while the other is
>
> * display status as a funtion of suspend/resume status.

I think in the OP's case these are the same - I think (and he'll have to
clarify) that he just wanted the screen to turn off when he closed the
lid, right before it goes to sleep, and have the screen come on when he
opens the lid.  Sounds like S1 is working fine for him otherwise (which
I do believe to be true for D600's).

> On my Inspiron 8200 (and the 5000e that preceded it), I have the BIOS
> set to leave the machine running when I close the lid so that I can
> start a "make buildworld," close the lid, put the laptop in the trunk of
> the car, then drive to work, thus making arguably constructive use of
> the commute time.

Yea, that's what I do - I just shut the lcd off too to save power, but I
don't go into any S* modes (because they don't work).

> And I found from experience that mechanically, it is far better to close
> the lid; this avoids a significant amount of strain on the lid hinges.
>
> (And no, I don't think I have suspend/resume in afunctional state at the
> moment; it hasn't been that much of a priority for me.)

Eric