Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:52:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, stephan@yaraghchi.org
Subject:   Re: loader breaks with -O2 optimizations

Stephan F. Yaraghchi wrote:
 > After making world on a freshly installed 7.0-BETA1
 > the system does not boot anymore due to a broken loader:
 > [...]
 > I found out that the following line in my make.conf causes
 > the problem:
 >
 > CFLAGS= -O2 -funroll-loops -pipe
 >
 > After changing down to -O1 and making /usr/src/sys/boot again
 > the systems behaves properly at boot.

Have you tried with the default flags?  i.e. simply remove
the CFLAGS line from your make.conf.  Does the loader still
break?

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  The default flags are:  -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe
(see /usr/share/mk/sys.mk)

"Unix gives you just enough rope to hang yourself --
and then a couple of more feet, just to be sure."
        -- Eric Allman