Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 97 08:28:11 CST
From:      eck@sc10.dseg.ti.com (Terry Eck)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install Bootloader Question

Hello,

I installed FreeBSD from a DOS partition by placing the install files under
DOS as   C:\freebsd\bin  .

The first time I installed I told the program not to mess with the MBR.
I was not able to boot FreeBSD. Even System Commander would not boot it.

The second time I installed I told the program to install on the MBR. I
was able to boot FreeBSD but nothing else. I boot DOS from floppy, reinstalled
System Commander and it found the partition with FreeBSD but could not boot
it. System Commander just gave the error "Read Error" and halted.

Now I want to try and install booteasy (FreeBSD default bootloader) during
the install of FreeBSD. I searched the mail archives and found reference to
someone doing this and then installing SysCom and it worked.

Finally, my question. Installing from a DOS partiton as C:\freebsd\bin where
do I put the bootloader file(s) so the install program will find them?

Regards,
Terry
Terry Eck <eck@ti.com>       //// Hukt on Foniks Rilly Wurkt Fer Mee! ////