Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 2008 04:49:23 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Allen Kenner <doomnix@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:53:27 -0400, Allen Kenner <doomnix@comcast.net> wrote:
> I've been hearing a lot of good things about FreeBSD 7 and so I finally
> downloaded it as the latest version I had was like 6.2 or
> something. Seems nice.
>
> Does anyone know when the next time "The Complete FreeBSD" book is
> going to be released? I've always liked that book and I'd like to have
> a newer version of it on paper. My favorite one was "The Complete
> FreeBSD" 3rd edition. I have a newer one but I just always loved the
> way that version looked. It has a nice design, and cover, and overall
> I love it the most. And I don't need a bookmark because of the front
> cover doubling as one when you extended it. Good time heh.

``The Complete FreeBSD'' has been released by its author, Greg Lehey,
under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5
license now.  You can get its complete sources and a PDF version at:

    http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/CFBSD/

I don't know if Greg plans to publish an updated version, though.

If I am reading the text of that page correctly, then the version on the
site is slightly updated, but Greg cannot keep maitaining it anymore:

    ``Still, I think that "The Complete FreeBSD" is a unique book, and
    it's probably worth maintaining. But I can't do it myself. So: I'm
    making the sources available under the "Creative Commons" license
    (the book itself has been under this license since the O'Reilly
    edition).''

The fourth edition, published in 2003 by O'Reilly's "Community Press"
series is, AFAICT, the last version that appeared on paper.  If you like
the book so much, maybe it's worth buying _that_ version.  On the other
hand, if you feel ambitious enough and you can help update the Creative
Commons edition of the book, I think you should speak with Greg :)

- Giorgos