Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 1997 21:32:49 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Steve Howe <un_x@anchorage.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Binaries

On Sat, 31 May 1997, Wes Peters wrote:
 % FreeBSD uses a.out because there aren't any good reasons to change.

Steve Howe writes:
 > i thought the "good reason" was that ELF binaries could be run on any
 > ELF compatable UN*X machine - ie - no compiling. ?

Hardly.  There is an Application Binary Interface (ABI) for SVR4 that
specifies ELF as the load module format, but I don't think Linux is ABI
compatible.  There can still be other differences, such as shared
library support, system call numbering, parameters, and return values,
exact format of system defined types like size_t and off_t, etc.