Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 20:10:07 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System startup scripts

Roelof Osinga wrote:

> I use fetchmail to fetch the mail from a provider that doesn't seem to
> be able to, or to be willing to, set it up right. I'll not name names
> but if you give 'host eboa.com' you'll see what I mean.
>
> There is a variable that controls what dirs get checked
> for scripts, is there a way to trick it to check home relative dirs as
> well?

Don't know about user startup dirs. You could do what I did for running
rc5des as a user:

idprio 31 nice -20 su ludwigp -c /home/ludwigp/bovine/rc5des

(stick this into a file in /usr/local/etc/rc.d or somewhere in rc.local)

fetchmail, however, is a good candidate for a user crontab entry, where
each user can have their own cron jobs.

>crontab -e
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
HOME=/home/ludwigp
#minute hour    mday    month   wday    command
0       3       *       *       *       fetchmail -s -L
$HOME/.fetchmaillog