Date:      Thu, 12 May 2011 07:13:50 -0700
From:      Chris Telting <christopher-ml@telting.org>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Established method to enable suid scripts?

On 05/11/2011 07:14, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 05:54:04PM -0700, Chris Telting wrote:
>
>> I've googled for over an hour.
>>
>> I'm not looking to get into a discussion on security or previous bugs
>> that are currently fixed.  Suid in and of itself is a security issue.
>> But if you are using suid it it should work; I don't want to use a
>> kludge and I don't want to use sudo.  I'm hoping it's a setting that is
>> just disabled by default.
> My understanding is that in general the system does not allow SUID
> on scripts.   The way I have gotten around that (a long time ago)
> was to create a small binary that exec's the script and making
> the binary SUID.

Well it's all hacks and in my not so humble option like chasing your
tail.  The assumption is that if someone creates an executable
(assumption is programming is C) they are more credible not to make
mistakes.  That's a fallacy and just plain nuts.  And I'm an interpreted
language snob saying that.  Suid is either allowable or not and should
be a sysctl and apply equally to binaries and scripts.  Yet another
thing to add to my project list.  Anyone know of an established patch
for fix this freebsd issue or am I yet again going to have to create my own?

Either way thank you all again for your feedback.