Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 14:10:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>, Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>, "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>, Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>, Evan Dower <evantd@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cyrus vs. UW IMAP (was: Re: I Volunteer)

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> On Sat 2002-06-22 (00:06), Chris Dillon wrote:
> > Yes, but this is the case with any IMAP server and doesn't really
> > have anything to do with Cyrus in particular.  Unlike other IMAP
> > servers, however, Cyrus supports SASL which offers plenty of
> > non-plain-text authentication options, unfortunately none of which
> > work with a local FreeBSD password database that I know of.
>
> Courier-IMAP supports SASL (PLAIN, LOGIN, CRAM-MD5, CRAM-SHA1).

I should have said "unlike some other IMAP servers".  Thanks to the
simple BSD-like license on the Cyrus SASL implementation, it has found
its way into a lot of places.

> > There is always the option to use SSL, which is my preference, but
> > unfortunately neither SSL nor SASL have widespread IMAP client
> > support yet.
>
> Most IMAP clients I know of support SSL.  Outlook, Outlook Express,
> Eudora, Netscape, Evolution, mutt, pine, ...

I know Netscape didn't have that ability for a long time, and neither
did Outlook or OE.  Mutt and Pine have had it since around 1999,
though.

> Which IMAP clients don't?

If all of the above now support SSL for IMAP connections, then I can't
think of any.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon(at)inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet

No trees were harmed in the composition of this message, although some
electrons were mildly inconvenienced.