Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:32:44 -0500
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@niksun.com>
To:        Jeff Behl <anon1@santaba.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Subject:   Re: IPMI doesn't work...

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 01:14 am, Jeff Behl wrote:
> Julian Elischer wrote:
> > Jeff wrote:
> >> I'm not sure what you mean by in band.  The IP address of the
> >> BMC is assigned via the bios and is different from what the OS
> >> later assigns.  With imiptool we can turn on/powercycle/monitor
> >> via the BMC assigned address up until the point where the kernel
> >> loads.  Once it does, the BMC no longer responds.  This doesn't
> >> happen with the two linux distros we've tried it on.  Wtih both,
> >> including SuSE, we can still query/control via the BMC using
> >> ipmitool.  It seems to be some sort of driver issue to me.  I
> >> find it confusing that the NIC is shared between the BMC and the
> >> OS, but I guess that's just how it's done.  Perhaps the bsd
> >> broadcomm driver is simply blocking this somehow...
> >
> > you have to assign it the same address!
>
> that's not the way it's supposed to work, afaik.  it'd be silly to
> tie the BMC address and the OS assigned address together.  you give
> the BMC an ip address via a little program that comes from IBM and
> this address is independent of the ip address that whatever os you
> use on the system assigns to the nic.  the redbook that Jung-uk
> sent a link for shows this process if you're interested.

I believe you are correct.  If you have the same IP address, the
packet reaches host OS and (I think) it must be discarded by OS.
IPMI spec. is very verbose but I found very simple explanation here:

http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200304/msg00233.html

'IPMI messages are encapsulated in Remote Management Control Protocol
packets.  RMCP is a UDP-based protocol that uses port 623 for remote
system control when the system is in a pre-os or os-absent state.
RMCP can also use port 664 for secure traffic.'

FYI, IPMI v2.0 defines extended RMCP, so called RMCP+.

> like i said earlier, having different ip addresses (the BMC's being
> in private address space) works fine with the linux kernel...

Just out of my curiosity, are you using bcm or tg3 driver on Linux?

Thanks,

Jung-uk Kim