Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2008 07:34:39 -0500
From:      Daniel Rucci <dan@rucci.org>
To:        Mike Bowie <mbowie@buzmo.com>
Cc:        ken <ken@tydfam.jp>, freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org, glewis@eyebeyond.com, pieter@degoeje.nl, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: java/eclipse and jdk1.6

Mike Bowie wrote:
> Ken,
>
> That sounds like a reasonable proposition and clearly it's a model
> already in use.  IIRC, there was also mention previously of moving all
> of the "eclipse bits" to /usr/ports/eclipse... although it's late and
> the details escape me at this moment.  I think perhaps Dan suggested
> it... I'll have to scan the archives.  (Or someone can chime in.)
> Perhaps this is something that could be considered at the same time, if
> changes are being made.

Well my 2 cents..

An argument against retaining java as the main category for eclipse and
most of its plugins. The porters handbook suggests using ports/java/ as
the main category for ports directly related to the java language [1].

With that said, the main category for the base eclipse ports would
probably go in devel. Ports like those related to sql/databases could
have their main category be set as database and the  pydev eclipse
feature in python, etc.

Although it follows the suggestion of  the handbook, we are then losing
our neat folder containing _almost_ all of the eclipse ports, which
could be viewed as a regression.

Checking how something like zope handles this, they mention zope as
their second category, this doesn't create a zope/ folder in my ports
directory but the category is created on the website so perhaps theres a
way to access this directly on the system as well.

In any case, theres about 40 ports related to eclipse, it wouldn't be
the smallest category.

Is there a guideline for what justifies a new category?

[1]
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-categories.html