Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 21:03:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ability to test named?

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, Ryan Thompson wrote:
> My big question: Is there a way for me to easily (and safely) TEST my
> configuration of named without breaking the functionality of my ISPs
> setup?  (i.e., I don't want to take over authority for my domain name
> until I'm SURE I've got it right :-)

Depends on your definition of safely.

No one on the outside will use your name servers until you update
your domain at Internic.

So you can turn on named and use nslookup/dig to test your setup
before cutting over.  You don't even need to use it yourself other
than for testing.  Leave /etc/resolv.conf pointing at your ISP
and specify your servers when invoking nslookup or dig for
testing purposes.

You do have a copy of DNS and BIND, right?

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com