Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 09:33:46 -0400
From:      a brody <abrody@smart.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   I would like to add

Dear FreeBSD,
I took a FreeBSD version of Linklint and did a Make on the file on
the command-line interface of Mac OS X
(/Applications/Utilities/Terminal in Mac OS X opens the CLI).  It
compiled without a problem.  And it works.   It goes to show that you
can take FreeBSD applications and put them on Mac OS X.    If that's
the case, who cares what the kernal is, FreeBSD is still there.
Granted the compiled application only works in the Command-line
interface.  But there are also free ports of XWindows such as XFree86
(http://xfree86.org/), and two XWindows applications are already
slated for Mac OS X, namely GIMP (http://www.macgimp.org/) and and
Grass (http://SierraMaps.com/grass/).

Macs have come a long way since 1997.   Anyone who hasn't been using
Macs since 1997, really shouldn't let their anti-mac bias get to them
(if they have any such bias).   Macs practically started the support
for USB, IEEE 1394, 802.11b,(wireless), and they currently support
SVGA, have ATA/IDE drives, and PCI ports.   There is practically
nothing you can't do on a Mac that you can do on a PC.   So please
list Mac OS X somewhere on your pages.  If Whistler, a project I
barely heard about is a commercial project based on FreeBSD is on
your site, so should Mac OS X be.  I mean Apple is having us pay $129
for Mac OS X, and the software is giving the FreeBSD project exposure
to the real consumer world.  Is there anything wrong about
acknowledging it at least?

Thank you.
Sincerely,
abrody@smart.net
--
Check my internet portal of over 1000 links verified monthly,
over 200 Macintosh, and over 200 Cartography, GIS, and Mapping links.

http://www.index-site.com/