Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 2003 04:29:52 -0700
From:      "Eichert, Diana" <deicher@sandia.gov>
To:        "'freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   install on Dell Precision WorkStation 730

I just inherited a Dell Precision WorkStation 730 at
work, right before it goes to the junk pile.  So I
thought I'd try to get FreeBSD 5.0 running on it.
First, I did all this from keyboard/vga monitor
connected to the system.

When I boot with the mini-inst CD in the drive it
fails looking for a kernel.  ls'ng the CD shows a
kernel.gz and mfsroot.gz.  more'ng the loader.rc
under fs2a:/boot I see the list of commands the
loader would walk through, except the files it
references are not gzipped's files.

Steps I follow (I'm typing this from memory):
set currdev=fs2a:
load kernel.gz
load fails, are gzipp'd kernels supported?

OK, so I try it with the Disk2 CD instead.  more'ng
the loader.rc files give me the following steps +
setting currdev to fs2a:

Steps I follow:
set currdev=fs2a:
include boot/loader.4th
start

This loads the kernel to the point where it wants to
mount a root device or I can enter a ? to get a list
of devices.  At this point any keyboard activity is
ignored.  I'm thinking I should plug in a serial cable
and try from there.  However I was just reading from a
available.

Are there steps I'm missing here?  I recognise that
the IA-64 platform is not a "tier 1" platform, but
I wanted to get one up and running so I could track
current.

thanks