Date:      1 Feb 1998 21:16:17 -0000
From:      "evanc-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org"@synapse.net
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Instant trap on make installworld

(apologies if this goes out twice; I originally sent this this morning
but haven't seen it come through yet...)

Configuration:

2.2.5-STABLE client mounts /usr/obj and /usr/src off a 2.2.5-STABLE server.
On the server, these directories are on /exports, and are loopback-mounted
to /usr/obj and /usr/src via NULLFS so that make won't get confused about
the pathname differences.

The client's make world works great.  The problem comes when I go to the
server, and try to make installworld based on the client's build.  During
the first line of the make, the server panics:

cd /usr/src &&
PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/sr
c/tmp/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin
BISON_SIMPLE=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/share/misc/bison.simple
COMPILER_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/libexec:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin
GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib/
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib
LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib
CC='cc -nostdinc' /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin/make reinstall

Fatal trap 18: integer divide fault while in kernel mode
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf01b00b8
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xefbffdfc
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xefbffe48
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 196 (make)
interrupt mask          =
panic: integer divide fault

(IIRC, it isn't always this panic, but it always panics instantly...)

The loopback filesystems seem to work fine for all other purposes, so I'm at
a loss to explain why the server fails.  The only thing I can see is that it
points all the

FYI, there are a couple reasons why I am not building this on the server.
The first is that I am forcing myself to treat that box like a NetApp or
somesuch -- it's just a big disk on the net which I'm not allowed to play
around with.  The other is that for some reason if I do too much on that
box, it will also panic.  I think that the particular -STABLE I put on there
originally isn't particularly stable :-) but as long as the box is left
alone, it runs just great as an NFS server.  We've verified the RAM and are
quite sure it isn't a hardware fault.  This panic is always something like:

fault virtual address   = 0x0
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0x0
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xefbffb48
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xefbffb84
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 1304 (install)
interrupt mask          =
panic: page fault

As a side note, is there a way to get this to work with symlinks instead of
NULLFS?

Attached is my kernel config.  The only "odd" thing is that I'm running the
latest dpt drivers for 2.2.5-STABLE (version 1.2.4).  This box was installed
using January 22's 2.2.5-STABLE snap, and has never successfully been
updated, due to the above problems.

Evan