Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 11:07:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot serial console all blanks

Warner Losh writes:
> : The 2nd and 3rd stage boot loader output to the serial port is all
> : blanks.  That is, every character is output as a blank -- you can
> : see them printing, and see the 10 second autoboot messages, but
> : they're all space characters.
>
> I have seen this when I've had the baud rate wrong.  On my development
> box that has a serial console, I seem to recall that I needed to build
> special bootblocks to run at 115200.
>
> Try connecting a serial line analyser to the line if you have it.  Or
> a oscope will do in a pinch.  Or try the default baud rate of 9600.

I am doing 9600 baud..  also, this is a slightly abnormal setup,
using the old boot0/boot1 bootblocks (because it's an InterJet)
with /kernel hardlinked to 3.4-REL /boot/loader (so I can boot an ELF
kernel).

The old bootblocks print normally, then /boot/loader prints all spaces,
then when the kernel itself boots it prints normally again.  Everything
seems to be printing at the same baud rate (9600).

Maybe the old boot blocks are confusing the loader in the way they
are configuring the serial port.. ?

-Archie