Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2000 21:43:27 -0700
From:      Steve Reid <sreid@sea-to-sky.net>
To:        Graham Guttocks <graham_guttocks@yahoo.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new to freebsd: poor sound quality from CS4237B

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 05:01:17PM +1300, Graham Guttocks wrote:
> After compiling the sound support into my kernel, I gave some of my fav CDs
> a listen with the same set of speakers I've been using on another system.  The
> sound quality sounds rather poor, as if it is muffled slightly, and the range
> of volume doesn't go as high as I'm used to.

How are you playing the CD? Pressing play on your CDROM or equivalent
action (eg. `cdcontrol play`) is not affected by the sound drivers, and
should work even without sound drivers installed.

One thing you should try is "mixer cd 100" to set the volume on the CD
input to max, and "mixer vol 100" to set the master output to max.
Output volume when playing CDs is a combination of those two settings.

I also have a CS4237B (AOpen AW35 Pro). It works fine with FreeBSD 4.1,
although the audio in Q3A sometimes seems a bit scratchy. Also, at high
volumes or when using headphones, I can hear the RF soup from inside
the computer coming through the output (it changes depending on CPU
load, mouse movement, etc). The card works fine but if even I can hear
the RF noise it is nowhere near audiophile-quality.

Another factor that affects audio quality is the position of the
computer case relative to the speakers. The noise of the computer's
fans, drives, etc can interfere with your tunes. This may seem obvious,
but after a while people stop noticing the noise their computer makes.
That noise, even if you don't notice it, can drown out other sounds.