Date:      Sat, 07 Aug 1999 11:26:32 +1000
From:      Chris <reman@tig.com.au>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        bee@wipinfo.soft.net, "'Vince Vielhaber'" <vev@michvhf.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE quirk in 3.2-STABLE kernel ?

Wes Peters wrote:

> Biju Susmer wrote:
> >
> > > Regardless, you have to have 1 master and 0 or 1 slaves one every IDE
> > > controller.  You can't run a controller with just a slave.
> > >
> > I dont think it should be a problem.. Since other OSs can work with this
> > configuration without any problem, why FBSD should refuse this configuration?
> > When i was using 2.2.7-stable, FBSD used to recognize my CDROM *sometimes* as
> > slave, not always.
>
> Because it's wrong.  If you don't believe me, buy a copy of the spec.  Why
> should we waste valuable developer time trying to support mis-configured
> hardware?

Because if a number of new people to FBSD (from Linux or Windows) and
their CDROM isnt found because of this notion that it doesnt adhere to
the spec then there is a problem with the thought processes here.

I am not even talking about yo average user here.  If a sysadmin at a
large site decides 'hey I think I might give FBSD a go' they load it up,
and the exact same config that works with WinNT or Linux does not work
with FBSD, they ask why? and the answer they get is that they have not
got a correct spec machine, I see a problem here.  Even this may
persuade them not to bother, especially, as was my experience, if the
CDROM doesnt want to work properly as a master device.

I am glad to hear from Soren that this 'misconfiguration' will be
supported in 4.0
As always when a misconfiguration (read 'not to spec') is used enough
then it quickly becomes somewhat of a de facto standard.

regards, chris

--
Christopher Day

E-Mail   reman@tig.com.au
Homepage http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Lair/1218

when the rain/when the children reign/keep your conscience in the dark
melt the statues in the park - Fall On Me, REM